Monday, November 14, 2011

It's Almost Here!

Dear friends,

It seems hard to believe it's almost the season of Advent once again! I still am remembering all those warm days in July and August and am wondering why I didn't take advantage of the long summer when I had the opportunity!

Is it just me, or do we sometimes get so involved in the "doing" of the season that we miss the "what" of the season. You can't tell me that many of you have not thought about the many things that need to be done in the next month. You know, the cleaning and baking and shopping and decorating and entertaining and wrapping and card writting and the recitals and concerts and programs and all the rest! This is one of the most blessed times of year but it is in many ways one of the most stressful times of the year.

This year, I'd like you to make a promise to yourself and your family. Each day I want you to try to just for one minute...STOP. Sit for a minute, maybe at the beginning of the day, maybe at the end of the day! Think about all the blessings God has given you. Think about your children, or your husband, or your wife. Remember to thank God for your parents, your friends, your pets. At the end of the minute thank God for Jesus, your teacher, your friend, your Messiah.

It may not seem like a difficult thing, but when we are in the middle of the busyness of this season at times we forget the reason for the season.

I pray you all celebrate the peace and love of the Advent season that is to come.

Shelley Lyksett
Director of Youth and Family Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment